Sunday, September 22, 2013

An Autumn Evening in Harraseeket

The chill of autumn is upon us here in Maine, and the first of the leaves are falling.  But summer is resisting, and the sun is still warm.  My work week was particularly busy, with the ramping up of labs for marine bio.  We spent Sunday out at Giant Steps, and Wednesday and Thursday we collected data at Ocean Point in East Boothbay.  I love these two labs -- when the weather is good, students positively glow with enthusiasm.  Despite the busy week, I was able to sneak out for an evening at Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster, in South Freeport, a favorite spot for lobster rolls.


More tartar sauce?
A great part of fall is that all the spots that were too crowded in summer are now mostly left to the locals.  On a summer's evening, this window would be crammed with people ordering clam baskets, hamburgers from Wolfe's Neck Farm, and a bowl of chowder.  This time, I was the first (and only) person in line.

Enjoying the view of the Harraseeket River
Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster is right on the water -- the way a good seafood dive should be.  To me, a lobster roll is a lobster roll (which is why I don't understand this).  The ambiance is where it's at.  If I can stroll the docks before hand, watch the catch being unloaded as the fishing crew discusses their evening plans, and smell the salt air while I eat, then I'm where I want to be.  

Live and cooked lobbies.
Hanging on the edge of the Harraseeket River, overlooking the docks and moorings, the Lunch and Lobster fits the bill for me.  Parking is a pain in summer, but not on a Tuesday in September.  And no credit cards, which is fine unless I forget and have to "buy" my money from a private ATM.  But I love the fact that this place hides just beyond the reach of LL's crowds, like so much of Freeport does.  And BYOB is fine, an added bonus.  (But alas, no dogs permitted.  Durn says the dog.)  So for the next weeks, while the weather's still fine if crisp, I'll be looking for any chance I get to go down to the water, and if there's a lobster roll involved, I'll be all the better for it.

This man was carrying 8 sacks of steamers up from the public dock.  That's where they come from!

No comments :

Post a Comment