Friday, August 8, 2014

Week Downeast, Day 4

There's not much I like more than a lobster roll.  Linda Bean markets hers as Linda Bean's Perfect Maine Lobster Roll (TM, I am sure).  Then sells them in downtown Freeport.  Well, I have news for Ms Bean; the perfect way to eat a lobster roll in Maine is at some little dockside shack, with a high school or college age girl taking your order and calling for you to come and get your morsel of paradise over a loudspeaker ("eighty-five, number eighty five, your order is ready").  Gulls should be looking over your shoulder as you eat; a cool breeze should be washing over you, and lobster boats should be hauling traps within view.  It should all look something like Quoddy Bay Lobster, which you can find down a little dirt road just south of downtown Eastport.  The lobster roll was sweet, the company was great, and the day was perfect.  And I do mean perfect.

(BTW, if you're craving a lobster roll in Freeport, I have nothing against Linda Bean's, but I recommend getting out of the shopping district and heading to South Freeport, to Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster.)






No comments :

Post a Comment